Thursday, May 04, 2006

You Can Dance and You Can Die: 11-15

11. Blondie - "Heart of Glass" (Parallel Lines, 1978)



God Debbie Harry was one fine piece of ass back in the day. Hell, I'd probably still do her now, but only if she were whispering the lyrics to this song in my ear. No disco diva, this song managed to meld the worlds of disco, new wave and punk together long enough to realize that they couldn't stand each other. Then punk kicked disco in the nuts, new wave spit in its face and disco limped back to it's glitter ball.


12. Yvonne Elliman - "If I Can't Have You" (Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack, 1977)




"Saturday Night Fever", huh, kids? One of the touchstones of a generation yet it also sparked a massive backlash against disco. The boogie balloon got so big that it had to burst it's sequined insides at some point. But before it did, it gave us this Bee Gees-penned classic sung by Yvonne Elliman.


13. Earth, Wind & Fire Featuring The Emotions - "Boogie Wonderland" (I Am, 1979)




What is Boogie Wonderland? Why, the place where funk and disco meet, have slimy, unprotected sex and produce beautiful, afro-haired babies with the innate ability to boogie down, of course.

14. ABBA - "Voulez-Vous" (Voulez-Vous, 1979)



No offense to "Dancing Queen" but I simply can't resist the triumphant "a-ha!s" in the background. It's like those crazy Swedes are proclaiming their own awesomeness. Can we rock? A-ha! Can we make you dance? A-ha! Voulez-vous? A-ha!

15. Diana Ross - "Upside Down" (diana, 1980)



How can you possibly lose? Diana Ross + Chic's Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards = Disco Gold. Come on everybody, let's all chant it together: Upside down you're turning me/ You're giving love instinctively/ Round and round you're turning me/ I say to thee/ Respectfully!"

1 comment:

Ms. Ross said...

I'm going to beat the shit out of you if you ever spam my blog again. Kisses! :-)