Thursday, May 04, 2006

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! Some Disco After Midnight!: 21-25

I don't know if it's the return of spandex and feathered hair a la Madonna, or the fact that I just need to dance but I am in love with disco right now. Well, honestly, I'm always in love with disco, and not ironically. Yes, it's cheesy, but once you get over that you realize just how awesome some of these songs are. Just close your eyes, crank up some Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" in your headphones and try not to feel transcendent. Thus I decided on the long walk to work that I would rank my favorite disco gems, 25-1. Strap on your rollerskates, wipe off the mirror and pull Liza's number out of your rolodex cuz it's time to go to Funkytown, population: funk.

21.Diana Ross- "Love Hangover" (Diana Ross, 1976)



If there's a cure for this, I don't want it, don't want it," Ms. Ross coos before the song inevitably crescendoes into an orgy of beats and moans and one of her best singles/biggest hits. You can just see the disco ball, can't you?

22.Evelyn "Champagne" King - "Love Come Down" (Get Loose, 1982)



And Evelyn, you make my love come down my leg. Pass me a wet nap.

23. Carl Carlton - "Everlasting Love" (Everlasting Love, 1974)



Why, hello, Mr. Carlton. One of the most joyous songs ever recorded, it's all over in two and a half minutes and you don't even know what hit you.

24. Sylvester - "You Make Me Feel Mighty Real" (Mighty Real, 1980)



Fuck the Bee Gees, this is how you do falsetto, kids.


25. Silver Connection - "Fly, Robin, Fly" (Save Me, 1975)




"Fly, Robin, fly! Up, up to the sky!" No other lyrics, but with that bassline and those strings you really don't need anything else.

No comments: